Monday, August 23, 2010

La Republica Dominicana!!

I am, officially, in the Dominican Republic! Well, I have been for a couple of days now, but this is the first time I have had internet since Miami. And a LOT has happened since then. First of all, I met my host family. They are really nice. I have a mom, Josefina, a brother, Carlos, and two sisters, Carolina and Melissa. Carlos and Carolina are both married and don't live at home, but Melissa is 19 and still lives there. She likes to watch E! and MTV on the television, so I think we are going to get along great. Yesterday, we had our first day of orientation, and we went to this place outside of Santiago called Casa Club, and it was gorgeous! It was in the mountains, so we had this view of a valley that was so green and full of trees, it was amazing. We learned so much information, and I probably only remember about a third of it, but we got to swim after. Casa Club is an all-inclusive resort, and we used the conference room.

Today, I just took my Spanish placement text (yikes), and this afternoon we are getting a tour of Santiago from students at the university here. And I will hopefully (fingers crossed) be getting a cell phone! And tomorrow I get to choose my classes.

I have discovered that I love love LOOOVE Dominican coffee, but unfortunately it is more caffeinated than US coffee. Which I found out after drinking a cup and a half. But it was delicious and worth it! My host mom seems to think that if I eat something, that's the only thing I like, so she keeps serving me the same foods. But more later!

No comments:

Post a Comment